Friday, June 20, 2014

Beautiful Broken Promises by Kimberly Lauren

I must admit that I am fangirling on Kimberly Lauren right now. Every time she publishes a book I make sure I buy it and read it within 24 hours. I loved both of the previous novels to Beautiful Broken Promises and could not wait to see what Lane was hiding. I was not prepared for this story, so yes tears were shed but it still made my night.

I want to avoid giving too much away about the story because I enjoyed being surprised to discover the source of Lane's heartache. In Beautiful Broken Mess, Lane is portrayed as this giant who protects Aubrey, physically and emotionally. So when we discover that the reason he is so distant and secretive is because he feels like a failure for not protecting someone he loved we better understand the depths of his pain and his affection for his friend. He possessed a maturity that the other characters are lacking in the previous book but here we see that he is not infallible and he allows the weight of his burdens to hinder his good judgment. In spite of that, Lane is still the more systematic and calculating member of his new found family. Although there is a moment when Jaxon has the cooler head and gets Lane out of trouble that I found endearing.

Lane's story continues after Aubrey and Jace have had their baby. The novel moves away from the college romance and focuses on how this group is maturing and embracing adulthood. There is still a silliness to the story and some comic relief, largely thanks to my girl Emerson, who is now begging her husband for a family. The beginning of the story focuses on what Lane has lost, the extent to which he has gone to regain it, what happens when he finds it, and what he gains in his discovery. There is the road trip element in this story which I always enjoy because the characters are faced with new challenges in each setting. Lane travels from Texas, to Mexico, to California, then New York.

We get to meet Lane's parents and a new interest, Raegan. She is young, disoriented, naive and riddled with guilt and self-doubt. She is driven by a singular focus that Lane threatens. Facing this challenge, Lane and Raegan connect; he with her because she returns what he lost, and she with him because she is unwilling and unable to give up what has been hers to protect. Their union is built on sacrifice and compassion. At one point he tells her, "I wish I had found you sooner so I could love you longer." Kimberly Lauren weaves a beautiful love story for Lane, which he deserves.


No comments:

Post a Comment