Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Lies We Tell by Elizabeth Dunk (3/5 Stars)

Australia to Americans is so exotic. We fixate on the beautiful and happy people and the mystery of the outback. I'm glad that Elizabeth Dunk has crafted this tale that avoids the stereotypical location but still lets me enjoy imagining the beautiful men (particularly Todd Lansing). I love the intricate web of lies that maneuvers the plot of this novel. Sia's struggles with her obligation to a father that refuses to love her is at times difficult to read but what makes it bearable is that the other characters address their concerns. I love that every character in this novel is purposeful. I have a growing disdain for characters that are excessive and just distractions. One of the more compelling pieces of this text is that the two main characters are dealing with the exact same problem, they are both fighting against their pasts and largely due to issues with their fathers. I love that everything about this story is tangible, the setting in the suburbs, the problems the characters face with money or relationships, the diversity of the people moving through the story. I found this story to be much more mature than so much of what I've read in the past and that's a good thing. I needed a change and this story delivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment