Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Edge of Always by JA Redmerski 4/5 Stars


The irony of being single and reading books about hot, sexy, badass alpha males is that when reading about said man, he is everything you could possibly want. However, when said single girl comes across an actual man that personifies these qualities, he is the physical embodiment of every reason why she is still single. Occasionally, the book boyfriend comes along that is realistic and still hauntingly very appealing. Andrew Parrish is such a man. Is it possible that a young woman can find a man that is handsome and talented and restless? Absolutely.

The Edge of Always is the continuation of Andrew and Camryn’s story after they finish their first road trip. They find this happy groove where they are both waiting for something to happen but seem to be enjoying their time together until tragedy strikes and the restlessness becomes overwhelming to both of them. After several weeks of debating and doubting themselves they decide to go back out on the road to rediscover what brought them together in the first book.

I read The Edge of Never over a year ago and the end of the story was so emotionally charged that I felt incomplete and needed more; not in the sense that I felt the story was incomplete, but from the want to know more about the direction their HEA would take. In this book, the author includes a letter to her readers in which she explains why she did not add more to the original book. She talks about the heightened emotions the book conveys and how affecting their story is to the reader. I appreciated that she added this piece and included a little surprise for fans of the first book.

Since reading the first book, I’ve ventured into so many romance genres that it took me a while to get to a place where I could truly engage in Andrew and Camryn’s story again. I bought the book when it was first released and waited months to read it. Now that I’ve read it, I’m happy that I’m through it. The one downside to New Adult romance is the angst that goes along with young lovers. Not just angst but the feelings of self-doubt and insecurity and finding that sense of comfort and peace with the person that you know you belong to. JA Redmerski captures all of these emotions so incredibly well that when you get to the moments of passion between them it feels like someone released a pressure valve in your lungs. I found myself rereading these parts just so I could mentally prepare for what could come next. 

I am happy knowing more about Camryn and Andrew’s journey and how they found their comfort and peace with one another. I love that I feel complete after reading this story. More than that, I love that a writer can create a character that is not so detached from reality that a single girl can still hope to find an Andrew Parrish, just maybe not on a Greyhound bus.


No comments:

Post a Comment