Saturday, July 13, 2013

At Peace by Kristen Ashley 5/5 Stars Rating


I discovered Kristen Ashley over a year ago. She possesses a genuine talent for creating the ultimate book hero. Joe Callahan in At Peace is the epitome of the KA book hero. He is a large, intimidating, sexy as sin alpha male. I love the honesty with which he confronts the heroine, Violet. He blatantly tells her that he will “piss her off” and make her want to leave which she will do but he’ll “wait for her to come back.” I admit that I put off reading this title for several months because every time Joe Callahan appeared in one of KA’s other novels he was too intimidating, I just could not believe that I would find him sexy. I was terribly mistaken. Joe is sexy. He challenges Violet. He pushes her to move past her inhibitions and see that her life can be good again after the loss of her husband. MOST SWOON-WORTHY MOMENT: when he takes away the couch cushions to lay down and watch television with Violet and her daughter. It just might be the fantasy of a very strong-willed female but I find these qualities of Joe to be the most frustrating and enticing. He is truly intelligent, fiercely protective, and sexually insatiable. For these reasons and so many more, I have proclaimed Joe Callahan the BEST BOOK HUSBAND EVER! 

The storyline of At Peace is fitting for Joe and Violet’s love affair. Violet is a widow that moves next door to the elusive Joe Callahan. When Violet catches Joe’s eye one evening things between them happen quickly and he becomes engrossed in the drama that is her life. Joe struggles with his burgeoning involvement and teeters between stepping in to save Violet and her two daughters and remaining elusive. There is of course a love triangle that factors into Joe’s pursuit of Violet that makes the story much more interesting. Fans of Kristen Ashley’s other novels get to enjoy updates on characters from her other series. Ms. Ashley weaves these characters into the story seamlessly so their presence is not a distraction. Anything more I say at this point will be redundant, but I need to be clear. I love this book, maybe Joe more than anything else. I recommend readers new to Kristen Ashley to read At Peace. I recommend Romance enthusiasts to read At Peace. I recommend readers everywhere to read At Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment